IELTS Academic Writing Band9 Formula
Scoring a band 9 in the IELTS Academic Writing is a simple task if you are suitably prepared in advance. So, in this article, we are going to provide you with some beneficial tips that you can inculcate in your practice regime and score a band 9 easily.
1. Understanding the Format – This is the most obvious and helpful tip any IELTS candidate will give you. It is very important to have an understanding of the writing test format to tackle the test systematically and efficiently. The academic writing test is divided into two tasks. The first task is writing a report based on the information presented on a graph, table, chart, or diagram. The second task is to write an essay in response to an argument, problem, or point of view. Keep in mind that the second task contributes twice as much as the first task to your score.
2. Reading the Question – Once you have understood the test format, you need to have an understanding of the question. You must be aware of what you are required to do in the test in order to achieve a good score. Thus, it is imperative to read the questions thoroughly and answer all the points stated in the questions. Avoid making haste and try to carefully decipher the meaning behind each question by reading it carefully. Remember, failure to do so can negatively impact your score band.
3. Complete all requirements – Each task will have certain requirements you need to meet and failing to do so can result in a lower score. Thus, it is important to check and re-check all the paragraphs you have written to verify the completion of every requirement. Additionally, it is important to link all the paragraphs together and that can only be possible if you check the previous paragraphs before writing a new one. Keep in mind to structure your answer in a way that can meet all the requirements efficiently.
4. Follow a Structure – To receive a score band 9, it is important that you structure your answers well for the examiner's assessment. A well-structured answer can help you put your point across strategically. For the first task, you can structure your answer as follows - Introduction, Overview, and Specific Details. For the second task, you can structure your answer as follows – Introduction, Body Paragraph, and Conclusion.
5. Follow the Word Limit – This is the most important tip that can help you score a band 9 in your IELTS academic writing test. IELTS has set a word limit of writing 150 words for task 1 and 250 words for task 2. However there is no upper word limit, you will be penalized for writing under the word limit. Try to limit your writing to a maximum of 200 words in task 1 and 300 words in task 2 as the examiner will find it difficult to examine lengthy answers. Writing too many words means more mistakes and less time to check them. Thus, it is important to strike a balance between the number of words you write.
6. Write Clearly – It is very important that you write clearly, coherently, and avoid any grammatical errors. Avoid repeating words or being redundant in your answers. Try to base your answer on a central idea and separate each paragraph in your essay clearly to depict that central idea. Make sure to check the use of grammar in your answers as a simple error can change the entire meaning of your answer, which can lead to incoherent answers.
Follow these tips and it will surely help you achieve a score band 9 in your IELTS Academic Writing test. Good Luck preparing!