Complex Sentences in IELTS Writing?
Do you know in IELTS Writing, is one of the criteria that you should make use of a variety of sentences? Yes, it is important that you should not only write simple sentences but a combination of simple and complex sentences.
But, this doesn’t mean that you will have to make the content more complicated or perplexing.
Remember, when you use complex sentences intelligently, they make your writing more effective and fascinating.
Consider the following sentences:
- She was a little snippy with her friends.
- She was running late for work.
The sentences given above are simple sentences. You can write like that. But, if you can join them, it will look great.
- She was a little snippy with her friends because she was running late for work.
The sentence can also be written in a different way such as this: Because she was running late for work, she was a little snippy with her friends.
Let us explore a little more.
- Her coffee was too cold. She wanted to heat it in the microwave.
These two simple sentences can be combined as follows: Because her coffee was too cold, she wanted to heat it in the microwave.
You can make complex sentences by using common conjunctions such as Though, Because, Although, Since, and others.
- Although they were rich, they were still greedy.
- They donated a huge amount of money after they noticed the condition of the people in the village area.
- The training session was interesting, as I expected.
- This is a symbol of eternity because it never dies.
- Although the movie was very long, it was still entertaining.
- The struggling actor was happy that she had got a role in the movie.
- When prices go up, customers prefer to buy nothing.
- As she was intelligent, she became the leader of the class.
- Wherever you go, you can always take this with you.
- The little boy cried for the toy when he found it in the shop.
- The man died of shock when he heard such bad news.
- Although he was sick, he continued working at the office.
- Because she was bright, she was selected as the best student of the year at the college.
- The committee rejected his application, as it was assumed.
Sometimes, there can be three or four sentences and they can be joined together to make a complex sentence. You can check out the following sentences:
- She had to catch the flight
- She was short on time.
- She forgot to pack her bag for the vacation.
These three different sentences can be combined as follows:
- Because she had to catch the flight, and she was short on time, she forgot to pack her bag for the vacation.
It is always advisable that you should write complex sentences only when you are confident of creating them in the perfect way. Often, candidates make mistakes while creating such sentences.
Want to prepare for the IELTS? Enroll in the IELTS training online at IELTS7band.net.